Castle la Poujade

The castle

Location de château en Périgord Noir La Poujade

Once nestled in the heart of rich vineyards, La Poujade, one of the largest monasteries of Dordogne, is situated on the high slopes of the Perigord Noir, at 20 minutes from Sarlat and 30 minutes from Bergerac and Perigueux.

The main building houses the home, while the wings houses stables, orangery and cellars.

Inside, the Poujade has kept its character quite exceptional: arches, pilasters, columns, door frames, majestic Louis XIV chimneys, all combine to create a warm atmosphere.

Park and garden

The current park was planted in 1896 by Lord Greenwell and his wife Emma Maire, great-grandparents of the current owner.

A majestic avenue of cedars of Lebanon open a beautiful view to the courtyard. A large balustrade crowns the East terrace and its 300-year old climbing vine.

A large terrace planted with amazing trees (including a 300-year old chestnut tree), dominates the valley of the Dordogne and the meadows surrounding La Poujade helps it to retain some rural character. You can reach the pretty village of Urval (XIIth church and Four banal XIV) a few minutes walk.

Heated pool 12 m x 7 m with automatic shutters, teak sun terrace and deck chairs.

Outdoor games: soccer cages, balls, nets, badminton rackets, table tennis.

The living rooms

A large bright chartreuse corridor paved with charming 17th century terracotta tiles serves all the vaulted rooms on the ground floor, including the living rooms.

The castle’s vast kitchen (42m² – beautiful stone fireplace, scullery, kitchen equipment*), is well suited to meal preparation by either the hostess or a Chef.
Kitchen equipment: professional oven, meat and kitchen knives, food processor, Nespresso coffee machine, Babycook baby food processor and high chair, etc.

The dining room (46m²), complete with an adjoining side room, features a carved stone fireplace, and can accommodate the whole family around the large “hunting scene” table. Villeroy & Bosch dinnerware and Christofle cutlery.

The blue lounge (70m²), with its vaulted ceilings and crystal chandeliers, provides delightful acoustics for both music lovers and musicians.
Multimedia Equipment: Wifi Internet, HD TV with DVD player, game console PS3, DVD library.

Fully equipped laundry.
Large vaulted
room for young people with TV and games.
Two terraces
equipped with a plancha, tables, chairs, armchairs, and parasols.

The bedrooms

Sleeping capacity: 14 people (including 4 in annexe bedroom)
For baby: high chair, crib, playpen, bath / changing table, babycook

The Ground Floor features 3 double bedrooms :

  • Louis XIV bedroom (28m²) with its four-poster bed (185×195), en-suite bathroom with toilet.
  • Greenwell bedroom (34m²) with its four-poster bed (150×200), en-suite bathroom with toilet.
  • Prince Henry bedroom (32m²), with double bed (150×190), en-suite bathroom with toilet.
  • The ground floor also features 2 separate toilets.

Upstairs

Greenwell Level :

  • Restoration era bedroom with large double bed (180×210), en-suite bathroom and toilet, lemon-wood furniture,
  • Appended: two small bedrooms : « Bambou » with its single sleigh bed (120×195) and « Colonnettes », with single bed (150×200).

Mayor Level :

  • The Mayor bedroom (40m²) and its bay window opening onto the Dordogne valley, and a bed (160×200)
  • Appended: Empire bedroom (20m²) with 2 single sleigh beds (120 x 190), bathroom and nearby toilet.

History

La Poujade was erected by the Saint-Ours, old noble family of the Sarlat region who possessed, besides the Lordship of Urval, quite a number of noble properties in the neighbourhood: La Poujade La Bourlie, La Bleynie, La Ferriere, etc.

When Suzanne de Saint-Ours married Jean de Montalembert in 1672, she passed some of her properties onto his family. Their descendant and heiress, Mary Susan, married the Marquis of Commarque in 1806.

Passed to the Greenwell family, whose heiress married Georgina Raymond Commarque, La Poujade then returned to the family.

Passed to the Greenwell family, whose heiress married Georgina Raymond Commarque, La Poujade then returned to the family. During the Second World War, Gerard Commarque father of two young sons aged respectively of 5 years and 9 months, was killed at Buchenwald for acts of Resistance. At that time, with the consent of Gerard’ mother, the headquarters of the Allies and André Malraux had settled in La Poujade. The Louvre Museum, the Museum of Nancy, the Musée Ingres in Montauban and the Museum of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg had also chosen La Bourgonie and La Poujade to save some major French paintings.

Count Hubert de Commarque, current owner, continues to maintain and to share this chateau and La Bourgonie. In 1972 he also bought the ruins of the medieval fortress Commarque, ancestral cradle of his family; he opened it to the public in 2001, and continues to restore, and search the domain.

Château de Commarque